Street Photography In Paris

There is definitely something magical about Paris.  What a glorious time we had in this city of love and light.

We rented a little apartment and for seven days we lived the life of Parisians. We bought a weekly Metro ticket, and after a few days we knew the underbelly of Paris like the back of our hands.  We discovered the best supermarkets to buy croissants and local beers as well as other yummy grocery supplies and found the quickest routes home when we were caught in a thundershower (yes, it always rains in Paris!)

We did all the touristy things as one does when visiting Paris.  We visited the Louvre and the Pompidou Centre that houses the Museum of Modern Art to soak up a bit of culture.  We decided not to go up the Eiffel Tower(partly because of the hideous queues, but also because when you are on top of it, you don’t really ‘see’ it,) instead we had a picnic at its base and decided to see how many different views we could get of it from all over the city.  We did a day trip to the Palace of Versailles and went up to the top of Notre dame.

But the true pleasure lay in exploring the alleyways and back street cafes of Montmartre, the Latin Quarter and the Marais or just going for a stroll along the banks of the river Seine. We could live out our dream of street photography in Paris and walk in the footsteps of Henri Cartier Bresson.  It’s amazing how many markets and other interesting little shops, nooks and crannies you stumble across when you take the long way around.  We met so many French bulldogs along the way and it became clear that they are both very cute and very stubborn.

So here’s to Paris! Picnics in the park, macaroons, sunset on the banks of the Seine, the Metro, thundershowers, old Citroens, street markets, Parisian architecture and NUTELLA CREPES!

And in the words of James Thurber

The whole of Paris is a vast university of Art, Literature and Music… it is worth anyone’s while to dally here for years. Paris is a seminar, a post-graduate course in everything.

Facebook
Google+
Google+
Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!
2017-02-02T00:59:49+00:00

19 Comments

1. Jani B February 25, 2015 at 2:31 pm - Reply

If you know how my heart longs….stunning set of images, you can only truly appreciate if you’ve been there 😉

2. David February 25, 2015 at 2:31 pm - Reply

Beautiful images. I live in Paris and I really appreciate your unique view of the city.

3. Herman Agenbag February 25, 2015 at 2:31 pm - Reply

Well captured Selma!

4. Jo-Ann Stokes February 25, 2015 at 2:32 pm - Reply

Awesome pics, Selma ….i so want to go do this ….i think renting the apartment was a clever idea …..these pics have made me want to persuade hubby to go do this soon!!!

5. Melanie February 25, 2015 at 2:32 pm - Reply

Selma and Andre, wow! It is so beautiful, you capture everything perfectly. Masterpieces!!!

6. Deon Bing February 25, 2015 at 2:32 pm - Reply

I want to blow these all up into massive prints and put them all over the house – I’ve got one grungy print from when we stayed at Ille St Lous – this is what we saw but couldn’t express – you’ve nailed it – makes me wanna go back – fantastic pics!!

7. MacAngel February 25, 2015 at 2:33 pm - Reply

Awesome pics! Brings back fond memories of our 2 trips to Paris. We’ll be back for a 3rd…

8. Dawn Smith February 25, 2015 at 2:33 pm - Reply

Ttruly captured the heart, soul and essence of the city of love. The “love bugs” are ever so special!

9. Charlene Schreuder February 25, 2015 at 2:33 pm - Reply

Oeeh Pari!! Crepes! Beautiful set of images you guys!

10. Jacki Bruniquel February 25, 2015 at 2:34 pm - Reply

Wonderful! Love Paris!

11. Lauren Kriedemann February 25, 2015 at 2:34 pm - Reply

Beautiful images xx

12. Annelise February 25, 2015 at 2:34 pm - Reply

Sjoe, Selma en Andre… Pragtig!

13. Johann Jordaan February 25, 2015 at 2:34 pm - Reply

Julle is masters. Eks baie meer ernstig oor my fotografie na ons trip Parys toe en my onlangse kamera kopie. Maar ek het nog baaaaiiiiee om te leer! Uitstekende fotos op soveel verskillende vlakke. Wel gedaan…

14. Megan Martin February 25, 2015 at 2:35 pm - Reply

AWESOME PICS!!!

15. Nastassja Harvey February 25, 2015 at 2:35 pm - Reply

Just love that photo of the Metro! stunning images you guys!

16. Lauren Kriedemann February 25, 2015 at 2:35 pm - Reply

You guys are so talented i love your travel photos xx

17. Madeleen Munting February 25, 2015 at 2:36 pm - Reply

Stunning photographs, so much soul and feeling. A beautiful visual illustration of everyday life in Paris. Stunning work Selma & Andre

18. Liza Botha July 20, 2018 at 6:46 pm - Reply

Oh my word! I only stumbled upon this now! I sat here scrolling and BEAMING at my screen in utter bliss and nostalgia! I had my honeymoon in Paris many moons ago. While living in Belgium for 4 years, Paris was a frequent and favourite weekend breakaway. I can hear Ella Fitzgerald crooning in the background. “I love Paris in the summer…”
    Beautiful! Well done you awesome peoples!

• Selma Ohlsson July 23, 2018 at 11:16 am - Reply

Oh wow! What romantic city for a honeymoon. ♥ Thank you for your lovely comment. Means the world to us, and just fuels our passion even more!